New year, new you? Are you resolving to improve your health this year? As healthcare costs continue to rise, being a smarter healthcare consumer can help combat these costs. However, being informed about healthcare and establishing these healthy habits starts with YOU.
Need some motivation? Here are 7 health-related resolutions to make this year:
- Review your health insurance policy: It’s important that you understand what your insurance policy really covers to make the most of your spending each year. Determine your deductible amount, out-of-pocket maximum, copays for regular office, urgent care and ER visits, and copay costs for generic, brand and specialty prescriptions.
- Consider obtaining secondary health insurance: By covering medical expenses that are not covered by your primary insurance plan, secondary insurance policies help bear the burdensome out-of-pocket expenses individuals and families encounter.
- Select health care providers: Visiting the emergency room after work hours or relying on urgent care visits is NOT a good practice. Before selecting a healthcare provider, seek recommendations from family and friends, check your health plan to see which physicians are in-network, and know what you want and need from a primary care provider.
- Schedule and attend yearly checkups and exams: Staying up-to-date with yearly checkups and age-appropriate health screenings and immunizations is vital to your health.
- Stock an at-home first-aid kit: Unfortunately, accidents and sickness occur from time to time. Be prepared for minor illnesses and injuries with a stocked first-aid or emergency kit at home.
- Eat healthy: While establishing a healthy and balanced diet is the overall goal, it’s helpful to start with baby steps. For example, aim to reduce your sugar intake, cut down on carbs or start meal prepping. Making and sticking to specific goals like these will help you establish a healthy eating plan that is sustainable for you.
- Exercise regularly: Like eating healthy, exercising regularly is vague and can be tough to stick to throughout the year. Whether it’s hitting the gym twice a week, getting 10,000 steps in a day, or trying a new training program, create an exercise plan that’s challenging, but doable.
With these 7 resolutions, you can make your health a priority this year. If you have questions about your health insurance policy or would like more information about secondary health insurance, contact The Prewitt Group today!